#jygoessolo - Green Island, off Taitung (Day 13, 14, 15)

6:32 PM jiayg 0 Comments

(Sorry I've been on a hiatus and thus the really slow updates!)

(Cont'd from Day 13)

Upon reaching Taitung train station, I was greeted by the minsu (homestay) owner, Xiaoyanzi (小燕子姐) who picked me up at the station, even though it was 10pm! She was really warm and friendly and shared with me she was at a baking class before picking me up. It was nice hearing that her dream is to have a bakery of her own.


Taitung Swallow B&B (小燕子民宿)
Agoda.com
Rates for 2 nights: S$79
1 Queen bed
  • Xiaoyanzi is a friendly host, probably in her late thirties or early forties. Other than picking her guests up from the station, she also offered to send me to the station in the early dawn because I wanted to go for the first shuttle bus to the Hot Air Balloon festival (I'll talk about it later!). What a good service!
  • She converted some of the rooms in her house for guests to stay. So don't be taken aback by some kids' storybooks in the shelves in the rooms! I guess the room I was staying used to be her kids' study area. The room's well equipped with TV, air-con, bathroom slippers, towels and bathroom supplies. 
  • Spacious room area
  • Xiaoyanzi's home is relatively near to the train station but a 15-min drive away from the main town area of Taitung city. Can't remember why I didn't stay at the bustling part, but I guess partly because it was near to the station. Wubby, a Hongkong friend I made earlier on in Penghu, later on mentioned to me she stayed in a small hostel in town with nice hosts. There are quite a few hostels in the town but they aren't listed on Booking.com or Agoda. 

My initial plan was to actually reach Taitung in the afternoon and roam the city then but it got thwarted because of the last minute visit to Wang'an (not complaining! In fact I enjoy such random changes to the plans. You don't always have to follow according to a rigid itinerary!).

Anyway, thankfully I managed to confirm the booking to Green Island with the agency Junyu Tour (骏宇旅行社) even though it was so late already. The lady boss was really nice to accede to my last minute booking. I booked a day trip with them, which included pick up at the B&B, ferry to Green Island, a scooter and a snorkeling session. I can't remember how much I paid for the day trip but it was somewhere between NT 1000 - 1500 (S$50-70). 

Since it didn't include a return ferry ticket, I had to think of ways to get my ass back to Taitung after the day trip - otherwise I'm stranded on the island. I kind of panicked when I couldn't book the ferry tickets on the website (online booking closed 1 or 2 days before the scheduled times) nor able to book DailyAir (the only domestic flight to Green Island) on their website (not mobile friendly) - but I dropped them an email to book the tickets.

Day 14

At 8.30am, someone from the agency picked me up from the hostel (together with a group of Taiwanese girls on their summer holiday). The ride from the harbour (富冈渔港) to Green Island's a 50-minute journey and 20 minutes into the journey, people started throwing up. It was really bumpy as the waves got choppy. Probably due to the winds that came with a slight drizzle. I must say I'm quite good/tolerant with such "rides" - don't get nauseous or anything but, it was an awful experience because at least 5 -8 passengers were vomiting at the same time. The loud vomit sounds they made made me sick instead. Oh, I must mention the thoughtfulness of the ferry - every seat comes with a plastic bag. Hahaha

Thankfully I survived the ride. Almost everyone had a bag of "something" when they left the ferry. So do remember your pills before taking the ferry if you've serious motion sickness. Otherwise, take a flight.

Upon reaching, a lady from Green Ocean Castle (绿海城堡) picked me up and brought me to get a bike to do a tour around Green Island, a 22km ride. This B&B also had snorkeling services so they were the ones bringing me to snorkel as well. 


I started my journey from the main town area (南寮村) and did a clock-wise tour. The attractions on this little map (given by XiaoJun from the B&B) can be seen from the tour around the island! Technically, the tour can be done within 2-3 hours. But having the explorer in me, I took twice the time! Hahaha..Here's why:

1. The lighthouse is really beautiful! I mean, who can resist snapping lots of photos with a pretty lighthouse!


2. On my way, I explored a path which was not drawn on the map. And was brought to a cave (燕子口/ Swallow's cave) - only to know much later that the cave is haunted -.-



3. As I proceeded to 牛头山 (literally cow's head hill), I realised I lost my camera and had to ride back to find it. Thankfully I found it on the bumpy path towards the swallow cave. 

4. Took some time to go up 牛头山 and I was amazed by the awesome and breathtaking view. I really didn't want to leave. The perfect blue sky and blue sea. Oh, and the really green grassland on the little hill. (At this point in time, I was late for snorkelling so I told Xiaojun I'll have to miss it)



I'M NOT LYING ABOUT THE CLEAR BLUE SKIES AND SEA! NOT PHOTOSHOPPED NOR DI-ED!

5. Onto 柚子湖 (literally Pomelo lake), the waves were crashing onto the shore and caves. And there were no other people there, so I really enjoyed the quaintness and exploring the caves. 
Sorry my camera's panorama function sucksss

6. Being the kiasu (literally scared of losing) Singaporean, I made sure I visited and snapped a couple of photos listed on the map. And what makes me happy is that each attraction provides a different  view of Green Island. 



7. When I was done resting on 马蹄桥 (South west of the island), and ready to leave, the bike wouldn't budge!!! Why do these things happen to me all the timeee! (happened while I was at Kenting in the previous trip too) I called Xiaojun for help and waiting for 15 minutes before someone came to my aid. 

HI I LOOK SILLY IN THIS HELMET

As Xiaojun drove me to the domestic airport (oh yes, DailyAir responded to my email in the morning, saving a seat for me), I really wanted to snorkel! Afterall, the experience and sealife will be so different from that in Qimei. After some contemplation, I asked if there was empty room in the B&B. Thankfully there was 1 last room! However, it was a 4-pax room and cost NT2000 (S$90) a night! Definitely to costly for me. I bargained and pleaded with Xiaojun before she helped me negotiate with her boss to rent the room to me at NT1200 (S$50)! 

Green Ocean Castle(绿海城堡)
www.ilovegoc.com.tw
Tel: 0919-923861
Email: djdj211@yahoo.com.tw
Services they provide: (Purchase of) Ferry tickets, (Rental of) Bikes, Accomodation, Snorkeling, (Admission tickets to) Hot Springs, Breakfast provided. 

So I had to forgo a night's stay at Taitung for next morning's snorkel session but it's definitely worth it.


Before dinner, I strolled to the lighthouse again and watched the sun set. This solo trip couldn't get any better. And after dinner, someone from the B&B drove me out to spot some deers - which they only roam out at night. We managed to spot one!

Thankfully I had a set of clothes with me. And thanks to social media, I remember I could charge my phone via the TV's USB #lifehacksworked. As for my contact lens, I found some empty casings and used my eye drops as the solution. 

It's really quite an experience to do last minute changes to the itinerary. Adventurous and exciting!

Day 15

Started my morning with the snorkel session and I must say that the experience is definitely much different than that of Qimei. There are more corals making up the sea bed and more fishes around. I would really want to go back Green Island for diving! #motivatedtogetdivinglicence

After the 1-1.5 hour snorkel and washing up, I rushed to get the ferry tickets to return to Taitung with a fellow Taiwanese traveller who was there to learn diving and work at the B&B at the same time, but had to return for reservice in the army.

End of Green Island - I really love Green Island. just like Qimei. Life on the islands is really different from what you experience on the main land. Slower pace, closely knit locals, breathtaking views with fresher air...If I could, I will stay for a couple more days. I suggest a 3d2n itinerary on Green Island will be great if you want to take your time touring the island and going for the water activities. The B&B I was staying provided diving courses and trips too!

//
After checking out, it was really nice of Xiaoyanzi to send me to the train station. I met up with Wubby (my new HK friend) as we planned to visit Luye (鹿野) for the Hot Air Balloon Festival (臺灣熱氣球嘉年華) (ps: this yearly event is held between May - June period).

I left the big backpack at the station (it's great that they provide such a service) and had lunch at this nice little stall just right beside the station, before boarding the bus outside Luye station to reach Luye Gaotai (鹿野高台). It was really nice to travel with a new friend even though we didn't manage to see any hot air balloons due to the bad weather. I was disappointed (definitely) because I had already pictured the awesome scene with all the hot air balloons floating around. Nonetheless, getting to chill at a coffeeplace while getting to know more about my new friend was nice too!


I think I can pass off as an aboriginal. (No offense!)

We had to take a photo with the hot air balloon flyers even though we didn't manage to board on any!

The short day trip with Wubby ended when I had to move on to my next destination at Ruisui Township (瑞穗鄉), while she went back to Taitung. I heard from Wubby she went back to Luye for the next 2-3 mornings and finally managed to experience a good weather and catch the beautiful view! Lucky her!

0 comments: